Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I related to Stephen Abram in the video Stephen Abram launches Murdoch University’s 23 Things saying we are experience based learners. For example, you learn more when you post to a blog and someone replies to you, as opposed to just reading about posting to a blog.

Likewise, his comment in his article “Social Libraries: The Librarian 2.0 Phenomenon” (2008) that Web 2.0 is “about the more human aspects of interactivity”, i.e, the “conversations, interpersonal networking, personalization, and individualism.” and is “about a social phenomenom”. Abrams challenges us to become Librarian 2.0 and be “where the user is, when the user is there”.

His comment that you can always find 10-15 minutes a day to learn new technology hit home. It’s kind of like exercising, I guess: we always say we don’t have time.


I loved the cool You Tube clip on Web 2.0, The Machine is Us/ing Us by Michael Wesch, but I feel like, as a Baby Boomer, I am trying to catch up to technology, and it is advancing faster than I can learn it! Since many librarians are of the same age as me, I think many of them feel the same way. We know we need to keep up and that our libraries need to provide information in the way the patrons need and want it. It’s not that we aren’t intrigued by and interested in the new technology, but at the same time we are a little (or a lot) intimidated by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment