Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Method 9 - Chat & IM

I did the Meebo chat embedded in this lesson to chat with Naomi. It was easy, but I did not notice at first that she was not online and had to wait until she was online. I have used IM as a student to ask a reference question and it was very easy, quick, and helpful for my assignment.

Neither the library I just came from (small public library), nor the one where I currently work (academic library) have IM Reference. I imagine the reason is because of trying to arrange staffing for it. But as someone pointed out in one of this lesson's readings or videos (I can't remember where, or I would give credit), IM reference service doesn't have to mean 24/7. We can post our availabilty hours on the IM box, and just assign reference duties for someone to sign in to be available during regular reference hours. I can see that this may be a possiblity in the future, especially at the academic library since there are more people to staff it.

No comments:

Post a Comment